Get out and enjoy Minneapolis parks year round!
Preparation & Maintenance
Throughout the winter, our dedicated crews prepare and maintain ice rinks
Learn about our parkway maintenance.
MPRB clears snow from about 140 miles of sidewalks, paths and paved regional trails; 107 acres of parking lots and ice rinks at 24 locations. On parkways, City of Minneapolis Public Works provides snow and ice control as part of its routine winter operations on city streets. (Find out more about parkway maintenance.)
Standards and Priorities
When does MPRB clear snow?
- Snowfall of two inches or more: We utilize all staff on a regular work shifts or with overtime hours as necessary.
- Snowfall of less than two inches: Staff clear snow within regular work shifts.
- Ice storms and other unusual weather events: Safety is the top priority as MPRB plans its response.
Priority locations for snow clearing are organized into three tiers:
- Tier A locations are usually completed before Tier B.
- Tier A and B locations must be completed per City of Minneapolis ordinance before clearing Tier C (ice rink) locations.
All parks: perimeter sidewalks, designated interior paths
Staff may make two to four passes to fully clear paths, especially during extended or extreme snow events. They return as needed to clear blockages at intersections and parking lot entrances that result from snow-clearing on streets and adjacent properties.