3334 20th Ave. S
Minneapolis, MN 55407
Recreation Center: Corcoran Recreation Center
Not finding what you're looking for?
Search Parks & Destinations
This park will be affected by a completed park or service area master plan. View Master Plans
Size: 3.12 acres
Service Area: South
Master Plan: After two years of extensive community engagement, the Corcoran Park Master Plan was approved in 2016 as part of the South Service Area Master Plan. The Corcoran Park Master Plan will guide outdoor park improvements at Corcoran Park for the next 20-30 years. Click the link below to view the master plan.
Name: The park was named for Corcoran School, which had previously occupied the site. The school was named for William Wilson Corcoran, a banker, philanthropist and collector of American art, who founded the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington D.C.
Acquisition and Development
The land for Corcoran Park was acquired from the Minneapolis School Board in 1976 for $95,500. The park was one of three former school sites acquired by the park board in the mid-1970s. The park was in a neighborhood that had been designated in 1944 as one that needed more recreation facilities. The final four parcels of land needed for the park were condemned in 1977. Development of the property began in 1977 when a recreation shelter was built along with playgrounds, tennis courts and horseshoe pits. The new park was completed and dedicated in 1979.
A fire severely damaged the Corcoran Park recreation center in 1998, but it was brought back into service in three months.
Improvements were made to the park in 2000, when a new totlot was built. Volleyball standards were placed on the existing tennis court and the little-used horseshoe pits were removed. The following year Corcoran became one of the first five recreation centers in the city to have a computer lab installed.
Internet-based thermostat controls were added to the recreation center in 2009.
Park history compiled and written by David C. Smith.