Job Description: This position is for an assistant instructor for Precious Gems Preschool at Pearl Park. The MPRB offers a variety of recreational opportunities for people of all ages at 47 neighborhood recreation centers. This position is for an assistant program instructor. The assistant instructor’s role is to help the lead instructor plan, implement and coordinate preschool programs. This also means communicating with parents/guardians and their children in a professional and positive manner. Directing other staff members and volunteers may be required as well. There is a potential for instructor to lead other activities programs or classes in addition to or as part of the preschool.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Post‐secondary coursework with a minimum of four (4) completed courses in early childhood education, child development, youth studies, recreation or a related field.
- One year of experience leading or working with preschool age (ages 3-5) children.
- Six months of work experience in customer service, recreation facilities, or with youth serving organization.
- An equivalent combination of related experience, education and training may be considered.
- Proficient with computer software including Microsoft Word and Excel; experience with or ability to quickly learn ActiveNet Recreation Management software and other internal software programs.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be able to pass a background check.
Job Duties (Including but not limited to the following)
- Create a fun, nurturing, and safe preschool program environment for children.
- Plan and implement daily activities for the preschool program.
- Work closely with recreation staff to produce a quality experience for children and their families.
- Continually evaluate the preschool program to ensure quality standards are being met.
- Create weekly activity calendars and lesson plans for preschool.
- Lead or assist other staff in planning and leading park programs and activities as needed.
- Assist with inquiries about park programming via telephone, online or in person.
- Utilize recreation management software for program registration, financial transactions, facility scheduling, and statistical reporting.
- Develop positive relationships with park users of all ages.
- Assist program leaders in planning and leading park programs and activities as needed.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of special events.
- Completes other duties and special projects as assigned.
Hours: This preschool class runs 9 am-2 pm Monday-Thursday during the school year and 9 am-1:30 pm in the summer. Hours may vary. This part-time position is approximately 18-25 hours per week. Schedule will vary depending on the programming needs.
Pay Rate: $10.00-$13.62 / hour DOEE
Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board
414 E. Diamond Lake Rd.
Minneapolis, MN 55419