Position Description: The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking a part-Environmental Education Staff/Naturalists to work in various locations around the city. We serve 60,000 participants per year and hire up to 20 educators in camps, public programs, ongoing series, canoeing and events. Participants range in age from toddlers to adults. Among the locations educators are located are Neighborhood Recreation Centers, the Kroening Interpretive Center, JD Rivers Children’s Garden, and Wirth and Minnehaha Regional parks. Brief descriptions and seasons of each program area are listed on the following page. Programs encompass everything from hands-on gardening and water quality education to birding, native plant identification, and more.
Job Responsibilities depending on location and program focus:
- Prepare and deliver fun, educational, hands-on nature, gardening or water education programming.
- Assist with the development of environmental education programs,
- Lead Nature-themed summer day camps.
- Develop interactive onsite outreach activities and education for park patrons of all ages.
- Complete administrative tasks as assigned
- Provide outstanding customer service to visitors.
- Engage visitors of all ages to enhance their experience at the parks and promote high quality outdoor, educational and recreational experiences.
- Assist with curriculum development for environmental education programs
- Assist with animal care, scheduling, outreach, and administrative tasks as assigned
- Assist with program teaching and development in other areas of the parks as needed
- Provide aquatic invasive species education and inspections at Minneapolis Lakes (all education staff are trained in this and some have this as their primary job).
Hours: These are part-time, seasonal positions averaging 15 to 40 hours per week depending on the specific program area. Hours could be between 830am-10pm, including some weekends. Staff are required to be available for occasional evening and early morning programs and events. You must be available at least one weekend per month
Compensation: $11.99 to 13.02 per hour.
- Interpretive experience at a nature center, recreation center or similar.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with children and diverse populations.
- Working knowledge of Minnesota flora, fauna and ecosystems.
- Academic training in environmental education, ecology, natural history or teaching.
- Must be a self-starter, able to focus on prioritized tasks and work independently.
- Excellent problem solving skills, ability to adapt, creativity and enthusiasm.
- Strong organizational, communication and public speaking skills.
- Excellent customer service skills, positive attitude and good sense of humor.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Some programs areas require a reliable vehicle.
- Previous experience with program and curriculum development.
- Previous program instruction with live education animals
- Demonstrated success teaching in outdoor setting or classroom.
- Ability to teach in another language.
Application Deadline: Applications will be evaluated as they are received.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Naturalist Education Coordinator
Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board
3800 Bryant Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55409