Position Description: The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking educators to work in our Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) education and inspection program. Educators will work at Lakes Calhoun, Harriet, and Nokomis.
- Inspect watercraft and educate boaters as they enter and exit the lakes in the Minneapolis Parks
- Serve as a customer service agent for the Minneapolis Parks; provide information and respond to inquiries
- Provide interactive AIS education for all ages at boat landings in Minneapolis Parks
- Track interactions with boaters and the general public
- Survey boat landings with AIS early detection tools
- Complete other duties as assigned
Season/Hours: The program officially started May 1 and goes through Dec 1. Applicant commitment through Dec 1 is preferred, but not 100% necessary. Boat launches are staffed 6 am-10 pm, seven days per week. Shifts are 6-8 hours on weekdays and weekends.
Compensation: $10.97 per hour, or more depending on applicant’s history working in the position
- DNR AIS Level 1 Certification for 2017
- Knowledge of basic ecology and interest in environmental education and outreach
- Outgoing personality with an interest in people, the outdoors, and water-based recreation
- Independent, self-motivated worker
- Good communication skills with an ability to interact positively with a wide range of customers
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience in customer service
- Working knowledge of aquatic invasive species and/or aquatic ecology
- Ability to communicate the reasons for invasive species programs, policies, and actions
- Experience in education (formal or non-formal)
- Ability to communicate in multiple languages (Spanish or Hmong preferred)
Application Deadline: August 4, 2017. Applicants are encouraged to apply early. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received.
Please email cover letter and resume to:
Chris Anderson, AIS Program Coordinator
Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board
3800 Bryant Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55409