Position Information: Under the supervision of a Recreation Facility Specialist, assist in providing a safe and stimulating child care environment for school age children in a recreation setting (rec center) within the Minneapolis park system.
Essential Job Duties (but not limited to):
- Provide direct child care for school age (K‐6) children and create a positive, safe and nurturing environment for children registered in Rec Plus (before/after-school program).
- Assist Recreation Plus Childcare Worker with assigned duties and tasks, including leadership of program in Recreation Plus Childcare Worker’s absence.
- Engage in structured and non‐structured activities/programs and special course offerings, including crafts, outdoor play, cooking class, soccer, football, open gym and other scheduled activities.
- Helps prepare offering of a nutritious snack based off weekly/monthly snack calendar
- Complete other duties and special projects as assigned.
- High School diploma and completion of post‐secondary degree with two (2) courses in child development or closely related field (i.e. recreation, youth studies, elementary education).
- Three months of work experience providing direct child care or school age programming children (ages 5-12) in facility-based setting.
- An equivalent combination of related experience, education and training may be considered.
- CPR Certification within three (3) months of hire
- First Aid Certification within three (3) months of hire
Skills and Abilities to:
- Learn and utilize basic computer skills to produce simple Microsoft Word documents, send/receive email.
- Motivate and mentor children between the ages of 5-12 showing flexibility, creativity and excellent communication skills.
- Perform a variety of tasks to attend to children’s interests and problems.
- Work effectively with diverse cultural and economic populations and demonstrate good cross cultural communication skills.
- Communicate professionally and effectively both verbally and in writing with staff, families and participants.
- Work in a team environment; demonstrate flexibility and patience in adapting to changing conditions and situations.
- Maintain composure and professionalism in sometimes chaotic or stressful situations.
- Maintain confidentiality in work-related matters.
Background Check: A criminal background check is necessary for positions with this job title. Upon receiving a conditional offer of employment, the applicant will be asked to sign an informed consent allowing the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board to obtain their criminal history information in connection with the position sought. An applicant who does not sign the informed consent will not be considered further for the position.
Compensation: $13.25-15.48/per hour. Salary Range based on experience and qualifications.
Hours: Part time position of 15-20 hours/2-5 days per week. M-F 2:30-5:30 pm
The application requires the following:
- Job posting and application [PDF]
- Copy of education transcript or other documentation showing completion of three child development courses
A resume only is not considered an employment application; however you may submit a resume in addition to the completed employment application.
Email Address: email@example.com