Position Description: The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking Interpretive Naturalists to work in parks throughout Minneapolis doing the following…
- Provide fun, hands-on environmental education programs for children in the neighborhood recreation centers throughout the Minneapolis park system.
- Present interpretive programs to all ages in Regional Parks managed by MPRB
- Assist with curriculum development for environmental education programs
- Provide interactive activities and education for all ages at community events
- Assist with animal care, scheduling, outreach, and administrative tasks as assigned
- Assist with program teaching and development in other areas of the parks as needed
- Occasionally assist with boat inspection and Aquatic Invasive Species education at boat landings
Hours: This is a year-round position with up to 29 hours per week. Classes taught are between 9am-7pm, Monday-Friday. You must be available for at least three days per week. Staff are also required to be available for occasional evenings and weekends. Naturalists generally set their own program schedules (within provided guidelines) up to 6 months in advance.
Compensation: $11.99 to $12.51, plus mileage reimbursement.
- Interpretive experience at a nature center, recreation center or similar.
- Strong public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with children and diverse populations.
- Working knowledge of Minnesota flora, fauna and ecosystems.
- Academic training in environmental education, ecology, natural history or teaching.
- Be flexible, knowledgeable, enthusiastic, creative, good sense of humor.
- Must be a self-starter, able to focus on prioritized tasks and work independently in a shared office.
- Must be able to consistently arrive to classes prepared and on-time.
- Must have a driver’s license and personal vehicle to drive between work assignment locations (mileage reimbursement provided).
- Previous experience with program and curriculum development.
- Demonstrated success teaching in outdoor setting or classroom.
- Ability to teach in another language.
Application Deadline: 9/29/17
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Naturalist Programs Coordinator
Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board
3800 Bryant Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55409