Cedar Lake South Beach
3500 Cedar Lake Parkway
Minneapolis, MN 55416
Subscribe to Email Updates
The turf at Cedar Lake South Beach may look healthy, but more time is needed to strengthen the durability of the grass. Chain Link fence along Cedar Lake Regional Trail will remain in place until the just before the first hard frost/winter. While this reduces the width of the trail in the short term, keeping […]
The first season for the new and improved Cedar Lake South Beach is in the books! The swimming area buoys have been taken to storage and the new seasonal bathroom building is closed. The bathroom building will typically open Memorial Day Weekend and close Labor Day Weekend. It stayed open last weekend due to the […]
The new and improved Cedar Lake South Beach is now open to the public! Beach hours are 6 am-10 pm daily; no lifeguards are on duty. Please stay away from the fenced off construction zone and areas with new grass or plants. Signs are posted to notify beach users which areas are off-limits. The new […]
September 2017 – May 2018
- Construction of improvements
- Award of bid
- Project bid for construction. Bids opened and reviewed.
- Seek variance for construction within the Shoreland Overlay District
- Public Hearing to approve changes to concept plan
- Board of Commissioners considers adoption of changes to the plan during its regularly scheduled meeting.
- Construction documents preparation begins. Plan review and permit applications (Minnehaha Creek Watershed District, City of Minneapolis Public Works)
- Community meeting (4/17) to discuss changes to concept plan and addition of restroom building.
- Community Engagement Plan submitted to MPRB Board
- Approval of design consultant team contract
- Approval NRP agreement with CIDNA
- Acceptance of anonymous donation
- Design begins
- Predesign and project setup
- Capital Improvement Plan [PDF] approved by MPRB Commissioners. Funding from CIDNA’s Park Dedication Fees are included for construction of South Beach Improvements
- CIDNA and anonymous donor offer to fund construction of South Beach Improvements
- After a public hearing, the MPRB Board of Commissioners approve the concept plan for South Beach Improvements
July 21, 2015
- Public meetings begin. South Beach design to be presented during planning process.
July 14, 2015
- Public Meeting #3
June 16, 2015
- Public Meeting #2
May 19, 2015
- Public Meeting #1
There are currently no meetings scheduled. Check back or enter your email address above to subscribe and get notified of new meetings.
Background and Funding
Cedar Lake is one of five lakes within the 1500-acre Minneapolis Chain of Lakes Regional Park. South Beach is one of three beaches on Cedar Lake.
The study area for Cedar Lake South Beach improvements is the area between Cedar Lake Parkway and the lake itself, just west of the Kenilworth Trail and the proposed alignment for the Southwest LRT.
Cedar-Isles-Dean Neighborhood Association (CIDNA) has generously offered funds from its Neighborhood Revitalization Program and from its Park Dedication Fees to construct improvements at South Beach. A landscape architecture consultant led the design and community engagement process in the summer of 2015. The design focused on improvements to the beach area and on access from adjacent neighborhoods and trails. Goals for this project include safer access for pedestrians, bicyclists, canoers/kayakers and service/emergency vehicles, a more stable hillside, ADA-compliant design, and improved aesthetics of the site.
The MPRB Board of Commissioners approved the concept plan for the South Beach Improvements in April of 2016. Since then CIDNA has pursued funding for construction:
- Park Dedication fees – $375,021
- NRP funds – $75,000
- Anonymous donation – $409,000
- Regional Park O&M Funds – $20,000