3401 Manor Drive
Golden Valley, MN 55422
Part of the Grand Rounds Scenic Byway, Valley View Park is located just north of Theodore Wirth Golf Club on Theodore Wirth Parkway. It is connected to Theodore Wirth Park and Victory Memorial Parkway by walking and biking paths and is one of a few parks to cross the city’s border. Most of the park is situated in the city of Golden Valley.
Name: The name is descriptive. It has never been officially adopted.
Acquisition and Development
Using bond funds the park board purchased the initial 15.4 acres for the park, which lies wholly within Golden Valley, for about $15,000 in 1927. Park board president Washington Yale wrote in that year’s annual report that the 400-foot wide strip of land was like a beckoning finger to Sweeney Lake, “which must soon be acquired before (its) natural beauty is destroyed.” Superintendent of parks, Theodore Wirth, noted that the acquisition consummated two years of negotiation and “assured for all time to come” the attractive view over open country from Sunset Hill on Memorial Parkway.
The following year the park board purchased another 6.8 acres at the western edge of the park for roughly $6,000 to establish a connection with Glenwood (Wirth) Park. Bolleana poplars were planted to mark the park’s boundaries.
Park history compiled and written by David C. Smith.