What is the Minnehaha Parkway Regional Trail Master Plan?Posted on 26 July, 2018
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is excited to announce the launch of the Minnehaha Parkway Regional Trail Master Plan! This new project will set a vision and priorities for future park improvements and management along the trail for the next 20-30 years.
The planning process will be guided by a Community Advisory Committee (CAC) that has been appointed by various neighborhood organizations and elected officials. Trail users are encouraged to attend the first Community Advisory Committee (CAC) meeting:
CAC Meeting #1
Monday, July 30, 6-8 pm
Lynnhurst Recreation Center
1345 W Minnehaha Parkway
Minneapolis, MN 55419
Light refreshments will be served. All CAC meetings are open to the public, so encourage your friends, neighbors and fellow creek-lovers to attend.
What is the Minnehaha Parkway Regional Trail Master Plan?
The master plan will be prepared in a three-agency collaboration between the MPRB, City of Minneapolis and Minnehaha Creek Watershed District. Over the next year, all project partners will work together to develop principles and concept designs for many aspects of this beloved park corridor.
The CAC, project partners and park users will examine ecology, history, trails, the creek, the roadway, tennis courts, bridges, water access and anything else brought up during the planning process. The plan will determine the next decades of improvements in parkland that traces its history back to original plans presented by Theodore Wirth in 1928.
The final plan will contain the following elements:
- An overview of Minnehaha Parkway history that tells the story of conditions that have shaped it into what it is today
- A detailed Conditions Assessment of the access points, trails, open spaces, shoreline and altered areas (either by human activity or invasive plants
- A corresponding Needs Assessment for the areas described above
- Recreation programming potential
- Conceptual plans for different amenities throughout the parkway corridor (trails, creek, open spaces, courts, bridges)
Click the link below to view the project map:
Other ways to get involved
In addition to attending CAC meetings, there will be many other ways to get involved in the project:
Sign up to receive email updates by visiting www.minneapolisparks.org/subscribe. If you are already a subscriber, add “Minnehaha Creek Regional Trail Master Plan” to your subscription preferences. Email updates are the best way to stay informed about meeting and event dates.
There are two ways to share your ideas, concerns and knowledge online:
- An exciting new opportunity called Social Pinpoint allows people to geotag comments on a virtual map of the creek: Minnehaha Parkway Regional Trail Master Plan Social Pinpoint
Attend public project meetings. Numerous meetings will be held throughout 2018 and 2019.
The project team will share project information and listen to ideas at many community and park events over the next year. Stop by and see us!
Email Project Manager Adam Arvidson at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in inviting someone from the project team to present at a meeting or event or engage your organization, group or community in the planning process.