425 Jefferson St. NE
Minneapolis, MN 55413
Nearby Recreation Center: Logan Recreation Center
Not finding what you're looking for?
Search Parks & Destinations
See what's currently in the works for this park. Some projects may be under the name of the regional park or service area it lives within. View Current Projects
Major investments in 2018 were made possible with funding from the 20-Year Neighborhood Park Plan. This historic agreement between MPRB and the City of Minneapolis helps address racial and economic equity across 160 neighborhood parks and provides $11 million annually to maintain, repair and replace facilities.
The most notable landscaping feature at St. Anthony Park is ''May Mountain,'' an artificial hill built on the park’s south side. Named for area resident Jeanette May, the hill provides great skyline views all year.
Name: The park was named for the former town on the east bank of the Mississippi River, which took its name from St. Anthony Falls. St Anthony merged with Minneapolis in 1872. The falls were named by Father Louis Hennepin, a French explorer, for his patron saint, St Anthony of Padua. Hennepin was the first European to view the falls in 1680.
Acquisition and Development
The park was acquired in 1973 from the Minneapolis housing authority. The land for a playground and a new school, Webster School, had been set aside as part of a housing redevelopment project in 1964. The site was developed primarily as a playground, for use by the school and the neighborhood, in 1974. The only structure at the park is a toilet building, which was constructed when the park was developed. Work in the park was completed with seeding and sodding in 1977.
The most unusual feature of the park, in a flat section of the city, is an artificial sledding hill built on the south end of the park. Recreation facilities were never developed at the park, in part, because it is only two blocks south of Logan Park.
Park history compiled and written by David C. Smith.