2100 James Ave. N
Minneapolis, MN 55411
Nearby Recreation Center: North Commons Recreation Center
Name: The name was taken from the park’s location in the Cottage Park Addition of the city.
Acquisition and Development
Cottage Park was dedicated by Samuel C. Gale and others as a park in the plat of Forest Heights on July 31, 1883, along with Glen Gale, Irving Triangle and Oliver Triangle. The first mention in park board proceedings of what were called the “Forest Heights parks” is a request by Gale and others in May 1887 that certain park land in Forest Heights be drained. The park board responded in June 1887 by officially requesting the city council to turn over to the park board the four properties.(See Glen Gale Park for more information.)
A small addition to Cottage Park occurred in 1914 when the city council asked the park board to take control of an adjoining small triangle at the street intersection.
1970s-era playground equipment at the totlot in the park was replaced in 2008.
Park history compiled and written by David C. Smith.