Project: Accessibility improvements at 42 park and recreation center locations
Announced: June 16, 2017 (updated from original announcement on February 16, 2017)
This project will improve accessibility through key park and recreation center areas. It includes changes to park paths and access routes that run between parking lots and recreation centers, as well as exterior entryways and restrooms at recreation centers.
This is the first in a series of projects to improve accessibility at all neighborhood park sites and buildings, as part of MPRB’s Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Action Plan. It is funded by the 20-Year Neighborhood Park Plan (NPP20).
- North Minneapolis parks and recreation centers: Creekview, Farview, Folwell, Harrison, North Commons, North Commons Water Park, Webber
- Northeast/southeast Minneapolis parks and recreation centers: Audubon, Bottineau, Logan, Luxton, Waite, Windom Northeast, Van Cleve
- South Minneapolis parks and recreation centers: Brackett, Central Park Gym*, Corcoran, Coyle Community Center, East Phillips Cultural & Community Center, Hiawatha School, Keewaydin, Lake Hiawatha, Lake Nokomis Community Center, Longfellow, Matthews, McRae, Morris, Pearl, Peavey, Phelps Community Center, Powderhorn, Sibley
- Southwest Minneapolis parks and recreation centers: Bryant Square, Kenwood, *Lyndale Farmstead, Lynnhurst, *Painter, Pershing, Whittier and Windom South.
- Downtown Minneapolis parks and recreation centers: Elliott Park
* Accessibility improvements at these sites are included within a larger existing capital investment project, rather than a single rehabilitation project. This saves on project costs.