Plan, schedule, promote, and coordinate the implementation of athletic and aquatic programs in alignment with the mission, vision, values, goals and objectives of the MPRB and meet the needs and interests of diverse communities.
- Develop skills required of a new professional in the parks and recreation field;
- Participate in the administrative, managerial and organizational functions of the department;
- Assist in facility management, and processing permits;
- Learn regulations and policies as applicable to the internship;
- Develop and implement services and programs;
- Develop public and community relations’ strategies;
- Work directly
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board will provide:
- An environment where future professionals participate in developing and providing recreation services in an organization committed to the preservation, maintenance and management of natural resources and the leisure services and facilities associated with those resources;
- Professional and supervisory staff to support and guide the intern;
- Access to resources necessary to deliver programs and services;
- An orientation program, job preparation workshop and weekly in-depth classroom style trainings;
- Exposure to a variety of program services;
- A minimum of one project for which the intern is solely responsible;
- A staff uniform;
- A commitment to all requirements established by the educational department.
Typical duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide information about MPRB programs, facilities and amenities to walk up customers and callers.
- Work directly with the public in person and over the phone in regard to service requests, complaints and compliments.
- Provide customer service for and process in-person and web-based program registrations, reservations and fees.
- Assist in the recruitment of participants and coaches.
- Assist with equipment inventory, purchasing and distribution.
- Work with ActiveNet and Team Sideline to create schedules, maintain standings and participant information.
- Assist with organizing and summarizing of invoices for officials.
- Assist in planning athletic events and provide coaching and training to participants, coaches, leaders, and officials.
- Provide onsite supervision of youth and adult league games and special events.
- Work with community/neighborhood residents and neighborhood associations and athletic councils to provide youth sports programs and special events.
- Performing related work as assigned.
- Class level: senior, needing internship credit for degree program. May consider other class level applicants.
- Field of study: Must be currently enrolled in Park and Recreation Administration, Recreation Programming, Recreation Facility Management, Public Administration, Kinesiology, Business, Sports Management or a closely related field
- Must have a GPA in good academic standing (meets minimum GPA requirements, not on probation)
- Demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Applicants must pass a criminal history background check
$13.25 / hour, based upon qualifications
- Required to work alternate work schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays
- 40 hours per week
- Flexible and will be established within educational requirements
- Maximum length of internship is 14 weeks (560 hours, May – August)
Apply by submitting the following materials:
- Resume summarizing education and professional experiences
- Cover letter including reason for interest in a Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board internship
- 3 references
- 1 recommendation letter by Professor/advisor
Ann Heath, Recreation Service Area Manager
Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board
2117 West River Road
Minneapolis, MN 55411
- All items must be submitted together.
- Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Deadline to apply:
March 13, 2020 at 4 pm
Direct questions to:
Tim Grate, Athletic Program Manager
2117 West River Road, Minneapolis, MN 55411