Winter Aeration Systems are on at Wirth and Powderhorn Lakes
Winter aeration systems have been turned on at Wirth and Powderhorn Lakes and will run until the end of April depending on weather conditions. The MPRB operates the winter aeration systems in accordance with MN DNR issued permits and procedures. Thin ice conditions and open water may occur due to the operation of the systems. Please stay clear of areas marked with thin ice signs. The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) operates winter aeration systems on Wirth and Powderhorn Lakes to provide an oxygen refuge for the lake’s fish populations.
With more than 20 miles of cross country ski trails, seven lakes for ice fishing, and plenty of places to walk, bike, hike, snowshoe and skate, Minneapolis parks have something for everyone during the winter season! Explore the links below to have fun and make the most of the season of snow and ice. In 2017, the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board (MPRB) established a partnership with the Loppet Foundation to provide a range of outdoor recreation opportunities in winter (and the rest of the year), primarily at Theodore Wirth Regional Park.
- Cross-Country Skiing and Skijoring — Explore more than 20 miles of groomed trails at four Minneapolis locations.
- Ice Fishing — Find out all you need to know to enjoy this classic Minnesota pastime at Minneapolis lakes.
- Ice Rinks — MPRB operates two-dozen rinks around the city for skating, hockey, broomball and all-around fun.
- Sledding — Get information on designated sledding hills throughout the park system.
- Snowshoeing — Want to try snowshoeing for free? Find opportunities throughout the city, as well as information on trails and snowshoe rentals.
- Snowboarding Lessons — Affordable, convenient lessons, rentals and passes are available at the Trailhead at Theodore Wirth Regional Park, through the MPRB/Loppet Foundation partnership.
- The Trailhead
- Tubing — When you’re ready to take sledding to the next level, head to tubing hill at Theodore Wirth Regional Park.
- Off-Road Cycling
- Winter Recreation at Theodore Wirth Regional Park — Winter at Wirth is unique in that it’s the one place in the park system where you can take on any of the above activities — except for ice skating