Southwest Parks Plan Update: Next meeting July 25, recaps from previous meetingsPosted on 18 July, 2019
Next CAC meeting is Thursday, July 25, 6-8 pm at Pershing Recreation Center
Additional meetings scheduled August 8 and 19
The process of developing, recommending and approving design concepts that will guide future development for every Minneapolis neighborhood park south of I-394 and west of I-35W [PDF] continues to move forward. These park designs have been developed as part of the long-term plan for the area’s parks, known as the Southwest Service Area Master Plan, Southwest Parks Plan for short.
All of the revised concepts are linked below under “Park Concepts,” along with a link to an online survey where anyone can give feedback on the concepts until the project Community Advisory Committee (CAC) makes its final recommendation.
CAC Meeting #11 Recap
The CAC met for the 11th time on July 11. Here’s what happened:
- Discussion of tennis/pickleball and basketball balance throughout the service area
- The CAC voted to retain tennis at Kenny Park and instead put 6-8 dedicated pickleball courts at Kenwood Park.
- The CAC voted to retain half-court basketball at Mueller Park.
- The CAC decided to allow more time for public input on the latest Lynnhurst plan revision, so it will be reviewed at the next meeting on July 25.
- A subcommittee was created to discuss The Parade Park. Meeting date TBD.
- Project consultant SRF will create a traffic assessment memo on The Parade Park concept.
Fields/Diamonds Subcommittee Meeting Recap
A CAC subcommittee formed to discuss and recommend field/diamond balance in four parks – Armatage, Kenny, Linden Hills and Pershing – met on July 15. Approximately 40 people attended.
Attendees discussed the athletics needs at the four parks and participated in a design exercise to brainstorm possible solutions to field and diamond balance. Detailed notes will be posted to the project page after they are finalized.
The public is encouraged to attend these upcoming meetings, which include a light dinner and self-directed children’s activities:
We will work through this list at each CAC meeting until completed.
- Check-in on tennis/pickleball and basketball balance
- Discuss outcome of fields/diamonds subcommittee meeting on July 15
- Discuss remaining parks in the “Warrants Further Discussion” category in this order: Lynnhurst, MLK, The Mall, Lyndale Farmstead, Washburn Fair Oaks, Waveland Triangle, Kenwood, Kenwood Parkway, Kenny, Armatage, Pershing, Linden Hills, The Parade
- Discuss Proposed Parks together as one group: East Calhoun Gateway Area, 31st Street Median, West Calhoun Bus Layover, Washburn Water Tower, Garfield Lot, Linden Hills Trolley Path, and 3 park search areas in West Calhoun, around Stevens Square, and around Windom South
- Discuss Guiding Principles
- Final Recommendation vote
CAC Meeting #12
Thursday, July 25, 2019, 6-8 pm
Pershing Recreation Center, 3523 W 48th St.
CAC Meeting #13
Thursday, Aug. 8, 2019, 6-8 pm
Lynnhurst Recreation Center, 1345 W Minnehaha Parkway
CAC Meeting #14
Monday, Aug. 19, 2019, 6-8 pm
Kenwood Community Center, 2101 W Franklin Ave.
Find the revised concepts for your favorite parks and let us know what you think using the links below:
Central Parks Group [PDF]
Parks: Bryant Square, Loon Lake Trolley Path, Lyndale Farmstead, Lyndale School Pool, Painter, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Parkways: Kings Highway
Northeastern Parks Group [PDF]
Parks: 28th Street Tot Lot, Clinton Field, Mueller, Stevens Square, Washburn Fair Oaks, Whittier
Northern Parks Group [PDF]
Parks: Fremont Triangle, Kenwood, Levin Triangle, Smith Triangle, The Mall, The Parade, Thomas Lowry, Vineland Triangle
Southeastern Parks Group [PDF]
Parks: Elmwood Triangle, Fuller, Gladstone Triangle, Kenny, Rustic Lodge Triangle, Windom South
Southwestern Parks Group [PDF]
Parks: Armatage, Lynnhurst, Penn Model Village Triangle, Pershing Field, Washburn Avenue Tot Lot
Lynnhurst Focus Area – Subcommittee-Recommended Design
Western Parks Group [PDF]
Parks: Alcott Triangle, Chowen Triangle, Dell, Linden Hills, Park Siding, Reserve Block 40, St. Louis Triangle, Waveland Triangle, West End Triangle
Parkways: Linden Hills Boulevard
Community members have proposed several locations for potential new parks or trails in Southwest Minneapolis.
This project does not include any recreation centers or areas classified as regional parkland, which include: Bde Maka Ska Park, Beard’s Plaisance, Brownie Park, Cedar Lake Park, Cedar Lake Regional Trail, Kenilworth Regional Trail, Lake Harriet Park, Lake of the Isles Park, Lyndale Park, Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, Minnehaha Parkway Regional Trail, Morrison Park (home of Minneapolis Institute of Art), Roberts Bird Sanctuary, Soo Line Community Garden and William Berry Park.
Many of those areas have already have long-term plans as part of the Bde Maka Ska-Harriet Master Plan, which was approved by MPRB Commissioners on May 3, 2017.