Winter is here: snow impact remindersPosted on 27 November, 2019
With the first significant snowfall having arrived, the MPRB shares its snow removal priorities and other important, weather-related information:
Snow removal priorities
After each snowfall of at least two inches (accumulated), MPRB maintenance crews clear snow from about 107 acres of parking lots, 140 miles of sidewalks, paths and regional trails; and (when open) ice rinks at 24 locations.
Locations are prioritized as follows:
- Parking lots
- Trails in regional parks and regional trails
- Perimeter sidewalks – all parks
- Interior pathways – all parks
- Ice rinks (not yet open) – more information at minneapolisparks.org/rinks
Note: Parkways are cleared of snow by the City of Minneapolis.
- The City’s snow emergency webpage has snow-emergency parking rules, routes for city streets and parkways and other info.
- MPRB’s parkway webpage has additional information on parkway maintenance.
- MPRB makes every effort to have snow removed throughout the park system within 24 hours after the snowfall ends. Delays may occur due to blizzard or other severe weather conditions..
Recreation centers and programs
- Recreation center hours are noon to 9 pm on Wednesday, November 27 and Friday, November 29 (school-release day hours, as Minneapolis Public Schools are not in session).
- Athletics, recreation and Rec Plus programs: Cancellations are not likely, but if they occur, registered program participants will be notified. Families enrolled in MPRB’s Rec Plus school-age childcare program can always check the MPRB website or WCCO /CBS Minnesota for information.