The Boom Island-Nicollet Island Bridge is open!Posted on 21 November, 2018
The Boom Island-Nicollet Island Bridge is open for trail users after a six-month repair project!
Minor followup work, including site restoration and seeding, concrete abutment surface repair, and paint touch-ups, will be performed next spring. A Grand Opening Celebration is scheduled next year as well; details will be determined in the spring.
The trail connection between Boom Island Park and Nicollet Island was originally built in 1901 as a railroad bridge. In the 1970s, the rail yard it served was cleared and the bridge was given to the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB), which converted it to a pedestrian and bicycle bridge in the 1980s.
In late 2013, the bridge was closed to emergency and maintenance vehicles after significant deterioration was discovered during an inspection. Emergency repairs were completed in July 2015 and permanent repairs were performed May-November 2018.
The MPRB appreciates everyone’s patience while the bridge was closed.