Date & Time
September 7, 2019
10 am – 4 pm
Lake Nokomis Park
49th Street and Woodlawn Boulevard
Art, Music, Dance, Games, Tours and More
These activities are free and open to the public
No registration required
The annual Monarch Festival – Festival de la Monarca celebrates the monarch butterfly’s amazing 2,300 mile migration from Minnesota to Mexico. Come and enjoy art, music, dance, games, buying native plants, prairie tours and food, the festival raises awareness of the need to provide and protect monarch habitat.View Photo Gallery
The arts components of the Monarch Festival are supported by:
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund.
The Monarch Festival takes place near the Nokomis Naturescape, a certified Monarch Waystation, featuring native plants that monarchs need to lay eggs, host caterpillars and get nectar. The festival features several vendors with native plants for sale so participants can grow a monarch habitat at home.
Festival participants can listen to great music, dance up a storm, make a milkweed seed bomb, enjoy great food, get up-close with monarch caterpillars and butterflies, get their hands dirty and make some art, tag and release a monarch butterfly, play games and much more.
Visit The Minneapolis Monarch Festival website for the full line-up of up Monarch Festival music, food, art, activities, and native plant sale information. These activities are all free and open to the public. No registration is required.
ASL interpreters available at main stage, and for the puppet show, plus roving ASL interpreters available upon request from the Information Booth (look for the purple & white striped tent).
The Monarch Festival is produced by the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) and the Nokomis East Neighborhood Association.
Festival partners include Monarchs in the Classroom, the Mexican Consulate and the United States Forest Service.
Children’s Costume Parade
- 11 am – Wear black & orange clothes, your wings and antennae, or dress like a monarch caterpillar.
- Line-up at 10:50 am at the Info Booth
- 9:30 am – Mariachi Mi Tierra (strolling the grounds from 9:30 am to 10 am)
- 10:30 am – Ballet Folklorico
- 11:15 am – Marimba Bullies
- 12:30 pm – Kapulli Ketzal Coatlicue
- 1:30 pm – Tropical Zone Orchestra
- 3 pm – Salsa Del Soul
Puppet Shows by In the Heart of the Beast
- 11:30 am – Way of the Monarch
- 2 pm – Way of the Monarch
Food vendor applications are now being accepted
Monarch Education (on-going)
Stop by the Monarch Education tent to learn about monarchs with help from the University of Minnesota Monarch Lab. Groups of 5-6 people will tag a butterfly and then release it in the Naturescape Garden. (Donations appreciated.) Receive word if your Monarch is ever captured or found along the migration route. Sponsored by the US Forest Service and the UFS’ International Programs.
Make Art with local Artists
- Paper Plains – paper making
- Karine Rupp – folding paper flowers
- Lynette LaRue – puppet making
- In the Heart of the Beast (Gustavo Boada & Amy Ballastad) – painting giant caterpillars on canvas
- Sol y Luna (Ken Rivera & Constanza Carballo) – lino block printing
- Kelly English – transform the Thicket, create butterflies
- Sarah Nassif – screen printing
- Cyndi Kaye Meier – textile arts
- Mia – be surprised!
Other activities (on-going)
- Make a Milkweed Seed Bomb
- Play the Monarch Migration Game, Monarca Loteria / Monarch Bingo or Monarch Jeopardy
Buy plants that monarchs love!
Like the Monarch Festival on Facebook to stay updated on all the latest news.
Volunteers are needed for a variety of jobs! Volunteers are especially needed in the afternoon and Spanish speaking (both shifts). Sign up to volunteer for the Monarch Festival.
Applications are now open for 2019. Application
Applications are now open for 2019. MMF 2019 Food and Beverage Vendor Information [PDF]
We are seeking Festival sponsors for 2019. MMF 2019 Sponsorship Information [PDF]