Northeast Athletic Field Park
1615 Pierce St. NE
Minneapolis, MN 55413
Subscribe to Email Updates
Brand-new recreation center set for early 2018 opening in NE Athletic Field Park; programming ramps up in spring The new Northeast Recreation Center is on track to open in early 2018! Construction crews have been hard at work since the March groundbreaking ceremony and are on track to finish the building by the end of the […]
Construction is planned to begin this spring, dependent on the weather and winter thaw. Stay tuned for an announcement of a groundbreaking event to celebrate this milestone and everyone’s participation in this process!
The Northeast Park Master Plan, developed through a Community Advisory Committee (CAC) process and approved by the MPRB in January 2014, identified a series of phased improvements for the park. Two initial phases included field/trail improvements and a new recreation building. As design progressed for the field improvements and the recreation building, additional project costs […]
- Begin construction
August 2015 – May 2016
- Design and construction documents
March 2015 – July 2015
- MPRB Public Hearing February 4, 2015
- Seeking funding for budget gap or reducing scope
- CAC Meeting #4 rejects reduced program scope, recommends unfunded scope
October 2014 – February 2015
- Schematic design process for recreation building
- Community engagement including public survey, focus group outreach open house, and public CAC meetings
Subscribe to Email Updates
Enter your email to receive updates about meetings, events and more.
The Northeast Athletic Field Recreation Building project has an appointed Community Advisory Committee (CAC) and a Project Advisory Committee (PAC) of MPRB staff from all departments to help guide the design and prioritize improvements to the park. Additional outreach connects to primary stakeholder groups identified in the Community Engagement Plan [PDF].
Everyone is welcome to attend CAC meetings and each meeting will have a public comment time.
Community Advisory Committee
The Charge of the CAC is to:
- Become knowledgeable about the project and its scope and advise MPRB staff and consultants throughout the planning process
- Understand and represent the park and recreation needs of the community and park visitors
- Act as community liaisons for the project, participate in public CAC meetings
- Make recommendations to the MPRB Commissioners for a preferred design for the building improvements
April 8, 2015 – CAC Meeting #4 Meeting minutes with attachments [PDF]
February 4, 2015 – Public Hearing Presentation [PDF]
January 12, 2015 – CAC Meeting #3 Summary
December 11, 2014 – Open House #2: Recreation Building Pre-Design Image Boards with public comments [PDF]
November 24, 2014 – CAC Meeting #2 Summary
November 6, 2014 – CAC Meeting #1: Recreation Building Pre-Design Presentation [PDF]
October 20, 2014 – Open House #1 Summary
October 10, 2014 – News release – Public Meetings – all are invited!
August 19, 2014 – Recreation Building Design – Park Board announces a new recreation building to be constructed; CAC application [PDF]
Summary Notes from Community Engagement – Specific Events
- November 15, 2014 – Zumba class at Logan Park [PDF]
- December 2, 2014 – Northeast Senior Services [PDF]
- January 2015 – Northeast Senior Services [PDF]
- January 10, 2015 – Zumba class at Logan Park [PDF]
Online Survey Summary Results [PDF] (see meeting presentation for more analysis)
There are currently no meetings scheduled. Check back or enter your email address above to subscribe and get notified of new meetings.
The Northeast Athletic Field Park Master Plan will direct future capital investments in the park. The MPRB’s 5-year Capital Improvement Program currently includes funding for field and site improvements and a new recreation building.
Northeast Park, established in 1941, is a 37-acre community park located in Northeast Minneapolis. The park plays an important role for city-wide athletics and athletic activities in northeast Minneapolis. Northeast Park is one of seven athletic parks in Minneapolis and it provides athletic fields for adult and youth use.
Northeast Park attracts visitors from across the city, region, and state for athletics and aquatics. The park also attracts local neighborhood recreation users for both passive (walking, picnicking, etc.) and active recreation.
Northeast Park is heavily used during the spring, summer and fall by organized adult and youth sports teams, aquatic park visitors, and neighborhood users. Edison High School’s teams use the baseball fields and tennis courts for practice and competition.