Front (L to R): AK Hassan, Brad Bourn, Mayor Jacob Frey, Steffanie Musich, Kale Severson, Meg Forney Back (L to R): Jono Cowgill, LaTrisha Vetaw, Londell French, Chris Meyer
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) held its annual meeting Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2018 to elect officers for 2018. Commissioners elected Brad Bourn as President and AK Hassan as Vice President.
President Bourn began serving on the Board in 2010 and was re-elected to his third term as District 6 Commissioner in 2017. Vice President Hassan was elected to his first term as District 3 Commissioner in 2017 and is the first Somali-born MPRB Commissioner.
The Board elected Jennifer Ringold to serve as Secretary to the Board and the law firm Rice, Michels & Walther as General Counsel.
President Bourn appointed the following Commissioners to serve on Standing Committees of the Board (one-year terms):
- Administration and Finance Committee – Chair Jono Cowgill, Vice Chair Steffanie Musich, Londel French, Chris Meyer, LaTrisha Vetaw
- Recreation Committee – Chair Kale Severson, Vice Chair Londel French, AK Hassan, Steffanie Musich, LaTrisha Vetaw
- Planning Committee – Chair Meg Forney, Vice Chair Jono Cowgill, Londel French, Chris Meyer, Kale Severson
- Operations and Environment Committee – Chair Londel French, Vice Chair Chris Meyer, Jono Cowgill, Steffanie Musich, Kale Severson,
- Legislation and Intergovernmental Committee – Chair Chris Meyer, Vice Chair LaTrisha Vetaw, Meg Forney, Londel French, AK Hassan
- Standards and Conduct Committee – Chair AK Hassan, Vice Chair Kale Severson, Jono Cowgill, Londel French, Meg Forney
MPRB Commissioners, staff members and 10 citizens were appointed to serve on the following external boards, commissions and panels. All appointments are one-year terms unless otherwise noted.
- Planning Commission (two-year term) – Jono Cowgill
- Board of Estimate and Taxation – Brad Bourn
- Neighborhood and Community Engagement Commission (two-year term) – Alison Griffin
- St. Anthony Falls Heritage Board – Brad Bourn, Meg Forney, Chris Meyer, Rebecca Silus
- Youth Coordinating Board – Londel French
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts Board – Brad Bourn
- Mississippi Watershed Management Organization – Kale Severson, Chris Meyer (alternate)
- John H. Stevens House Organization – Steffanie Musich
- Minneapolis Parks Foundation – Brad Bourn
- Minneapolis Tree Advisory Committee – Steffanie Musich, Don Willeke (At-Large), Peggy Booth (District 1), Jeanne LaBore (Districts 3 and 5), Devin Hogan (District 4 and 6)
- Minneapolis Riverfront Partnership (3 Positions) – Steffanie Musich, Kale Severson, LaTrisha Vetaw
- Minneapolis DID Greening Design & Infrastructure Committee – LaTrisha Vetaw
- Minneapolis Bicycle Advisory Committee (second year of two-year term) – Janice Gepner, Joshua Houdek, Ann Postera
- Southwest LRT Community Works Steering Committee – Jono Cowgill, Chris Meyer (alternate)
- Bottineau Transitway Policy Advisory Committee – Kale Severson, Chris Meyer (alternate)
- Public Art Advisory Commission – Colleen O’Dell
- Community Environmental Advisory Commission – Ellen Kennedy
- Neighborhood Revitalization Program Board – AK Hassan
- HomeGrown Minneapolis Food Council – Deb Brister
- Minneapolis Pedestrian Advisory Committee – Carrie Christensen
- Internal Audit Committee – Chris Meyer
The MPRB typically meets at 5 pm every first and third Wednesday of each month for regular meetings. Board meetings are broadcast live from 5-9 pm on the Minneapolis Government Meeting Channel 14 (tune to Tune to SD channel 14 or HD channel 799 on Comcast or SD channel 8001 or HD channel 8501 on CenturyLink) and online on the Channel 14 website.
Meeting agendas and related information are typically posted at http://minneapolisparksmn.iqm2.com/ the Friday preceding each Wednesday Board meeting.