District: 2 View Map [PDF]
2117 West River Road N
Minneapolis, MN 55411
Phone: 612-230-6443, Extension 2
- Administration and Finance Committee
- Recreation Committee
- Planning Committee
- Operations and Environment Committee
- Legislation and Intergovernmental Committee
- Standards and Conduct Committee
- Bottineau Transitway Policy Advisory Committee
- Minneapolis Riverfront Partnership
- Mississippi Watershed Management Organization
About the Board
In 1883, the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board was created by an act of the Minnesota State Legislature and a vote of Minneapolis residents. It serves as an independently elected, semi-autonomous body responsible for governing, maintaining, and developing the Minneapolis Park System.
City of Minneapolis voters elect nine commissioners every four years: one from each of the six park districts, and three that serve at-large. View District Map [PDF]
An annual meeting of the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board takes place on the first business day in January of each year. The following business is conducted:
- The Board elects two Commissioners as President and Vice-President and appoints a Secretary who is not a member of the Board.
- Whenever a vacancy occurs in the office of an elected Commissioner, the Board fills that vacancy, usually through appointment.
- The President appoints Commissioners to serve on Standing Committees of the Board. Each Committee has five Board members (including the Chair of the Committee), with the Chair of the Committee named first. Standing Committees include:
- Operations and Environment
- Administration and Finance
- Legislation and Inter-Governmental
- Standards and Conduct
Also at the annual meeting, the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board of Commissioners appoints community members to five ongoing advisory board commission appointments within Minneapolis. Members of these committees advise park Board Commissioners and other agencies on a wide variety of subjects by making recommendation on important policy matters. For more information about the committees and to apply, please visit the Advisory Board Commission Appointments page.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board performs its many duties through the contributions of elected Commissioners and the leadership of the Superintendent. Their actions are guided according to the following roles and responsibilities.
- Develop park policies
- Enact ordinances governing the use of neighborhood and regional parks, parkways, beaches and lakes, and special use facilities such as pools, ice arenas and golf courses
- Appoint the Superintendent
Board Rules [PDF]
Parks & Neighborhoods
James I. Rice Parkway
Theodore Wirth Regional Trail
Victory Memorial Drive
West River Parkway
Humboldt Industrial Area