With 12 beaches in the park system, you can find your own getaway not too far from home. Minneapolis beaches are located near other attractions, such as playgrounds, picnic areas and biking and walking paths. Go for a swim, build sandcastles, enjoy a picnic lunch!
- Beach preparations, including putting buoys out and sand raking, are typically completed prior to Memorial Day weekend
- Beaches are open 6 am-10 pm daily
- Lifeguards are scheduled at our busiest beaches during peak use June 8-August 25, 2013
- Beaches with lifeguards and their facilities are open 11 am-7 pm on the days listed below
- Regular lifeguard hours will be extended to 8 pm if it is 85 degrees at 6 pm. Check current weather conditions
Minneapolis Beach Locations, Hours, and Amenities
*Open Swim is available mid-June through late-August at Nokomis Main Beach to allow adults 18 years of age and older to swim outside bouy areas
- All beaches have indoor or portable restrooms
- All lifeguarded beaches will have lifeguards available on July 4
- Swim area buoys are typically removed after Labor Day.
Keep Our Beaches and Lakes Healthy and Safe
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board routinely tests and monitors beaches throughout the swim season. Water quality data is updated online, from early June through mid-August. View current beach status, or call the MPRB Beach Hotline at 612-313-7713.
You can help keep beaches clean by:
- Not feeding waterfowl
- Making sure infants wear swim diapers
- Keeping dogs off the beaches and out of the lakes
Make sure to follow posted beach rules and respect lifeguards and fellow beach users. View our Beach FAQs.
Several Minneapolis beaches offer group use permits for special occasions such as birthday parties and other recreational swimming events for more than 10 people. Call 612-230-6400 for additional information or download an application for group use.
View a Map of Beaches, Wading Pools, & Water Parks
Sign up to receive Activites, Programs, and Events email updates.