In response to overwhelming requests from the community, the much anticipated Off-Leash Dog Park at Lyndale Farmstead Park will open Friday, Jan. 25 for a “preview” during the winter months. The dog park entrance is located along Dupont Avenue South (Kings Highway) between West 38th and West 40th Streets.
*Reminder: parking is limited to residential street parking on West 38th and West 40th Streets or Bryant Avenue. There is no parking allowed on Kings Highway or in the Park Board's operations center lot adjacent to the dog park. Violators will be subject to parking fines.
Although there is still a significant amount of work to be done, the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) determined that the park could open on a temporary basis to accommodate pet owners who are looking for a nearby area for their dogs to run for the winter to spring months. This opportunity will allow everyone who is eagerly awaiting the new off-leash space to get a sneak preview of what the new park will have to offer.
The Off-Leash Park will close in spring for the remaining construction work with a grand opening planned for Spring 2013 when the full park will be completed.
Here is what you can expect during the temporary “preview” opening:
- The current surface across the dog park is a gravel base (the final surface will be a granite chip material and will be installed in the spring).
- The majority of chain link fencing around the park has been installed with the exception of the entrance vestibule. The entrance area will be completed once the granite chip is installed. In the meantime, a temporary fenced-in vestibule will be in its place.
- The completion of the filtration area is not quite finished. Currently a temporary construction fence surrounds this area so please make sure to keep your pets out of the filtration area.
- The majority of the grading within the dog park is complete; any fine grading will be done in the spring prior to a grand opening.
Remember that all rules for off-leash recreation apply during this “Preview” opening and an Off-Leash Permit is required for all dogs. Permits can be obtained by calling customer service 612-230-6400 or online at www.minneapolisparks.org/dogparks.
Once completed park will feature (see plan here):
- A concrete entrance will be constructed off of Dupont Avenue with a connecting concrete walk over to the primary seating area. The seating area will include benches and a shade structure.
- Landscape plantings will encompass the perimeter of the dog park and provide a soft edge and buffer.
To learn more about the Sixth Park District Dog Park project, visit the MPRB’s Dog Park project page at www.minneapolisparks.org.