Best known as the home of the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Dorilus Morrison Park is located in the Whittier neighborhood at 3rd Ave. S and 24th St. E. The park is named for one of the first park commissioners, Dorilus Morrison, whose family home, Villa Rosa, once occupied the site.
Land for the park was donated to the park system by Morrison’s son Clinton with the condition that the park would be the site of an art museum. Built by the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts, the museum now known as the Minneapolis Institute of Arts opened in 1915.
Nearby recreation destinations include Washburn Fair Oaks Park – located just across 24th St. and Clinton Field Park – one block east on 25th St.
Other parks nearby include Stevens Square Park, and Whittier Park, and Whittier Recreation Center, which offers youth programs and other activities.
Historical Profile: More information about this and other parks is included in Parks, Lakes, Trails and So Much More, a richly detailed account of the histories of Minneapolis’ renowned recreational system.