The historic Ard Godfrey house, located in Chute Square, is the oldest surviving frame home in the Twin Cities. Built in 1849, the Greek Revival house was the residence for the Ard Godfrey family. A Maine millwright, he helped build the first dam and sawmills to take advantage of the waterpower of St. Anthony Falls. He was also the first postmaster of the Village of St. Anthony. Originally built at Main St. and 2nd Ave. SE, the house was moved several times before arriving in Chute Square Park in 1907.
Located in the St. Anthony Falls historic Milling District, the house has been impeccably restored and is filled with furnishings and household items authentic to the period 1849 to 1853. While the Park Board owns the house, the renovation and operation of the house has been a volunteer project of The Woman's Club of Minneapolis since 1976. Come and see the Godfrey children's walnut cradle, and admire the Chickering rosewood piano. Volunteers in 1850s period costume provide the tours. The house is typically open to the public for tours from 1-4 pm on weekends during June, July, and August; reservations are not required. The public is also invited to the annual 1850s Holiday Party in December and Dandelion Day in May – visit www.womansclub.org for details.
Historical Profile: More information about this and other parks is included in Parks, Lakes, Trails and So Much More, a richly detailed account of the histories of Minneapolis’ renown recreational system. (See Chute Square section.)
|This facility is located in: Chute Square|