Dean Parkway - West Cedar Lake Trail Improvements
The tree-lined shores of Cedar Lake give way to three sandy beaches, Cedar Point, Cedar South and East Cedar, which beckon swimmers and beachgoers from near and far to the Chain of Lakes area.
Bordered by Cedar Lake Parkway, Cedar Lake is easily accessible to bicyclists via the Cedar Lake Trail and the Kenilworth Trail, which connects to the Midtown Greenway.
Popular with anglers, the lake offers ample shore fishing opportunities and the west side fishing dock is a great spot for catching northern pike, muskie and bass. The west side of Cedar Lake also offers a canoe launch and canoe and kayak racks that are available for rental with permit.
Connected by channels to both Brownie Lake to the northwest, and Lake of the Isles to the east via the Kenilworth Lagoon, Cedar Lake was acquired through multiple donations and purchases over a fifty-year period. The southern and western shores were acquired in 1908 as part of an expansion of Theodore Wirth Park, with the final acquisition of shoreline occurring in 1959.
Historical Profile: More information about this and other parks is included in Parks, Lakes, Trails and So Much More, a richly detailed account of the histories of Minneapolis’ renowned recreational system.