Chute Square is a 1.1 acre park that is home to the Ard Godfrey House.
The park was named for Richard Chute in October of 1904. Chute was an early settler of St. Anthony and is credited with devising the street naming and house numbering systems of the city.
The house was built by millwright Ard Godfrey in 1849 and is the oldest existing wood-frame house in Minneapolis. The Greek revival-style house was moved to Chute Square in 1907 and has been extensively restored by the Woman's Club of Minneapolis.
The house is open to the public. Contact the Woman's Club of Minneapolis for tours and events.
Historical Profile: More information about this and other parks is included in Parks, Lakes, Trails and So Much More, a richly detailed account of the histories of Minneapolis’ renowned recreational system.
Ard Godfrey House