Lyndale Farmstead Park, located on a scenic hillside at 39th and Bryant Ave. S, is one of the most historically-significant park sites in the city. Originally the Lyndale Farm, owned by Colonel William S. King, the land was acquired by the Minneapolis Park Board in 1899.
The home at the top of the hill was built for Theodore Wirth in 1899 to entice him to move to Minneapolis to accept the position of Superintendent. Much of the planning of what is now our modern Minneapolis Park System was done in this house. The sledding hill behind the house is popular after a good snow fall. Neighborhood children still call it “King’s Hill”.
Lyndale Farmstead is a much-loved neighborhood park with enthusiastic volunteers, large fundamental soccer and baseball programs, a track and field team, tennis courts, a skating rink, outdoor movies in the valley below the Wirth House, and community events. A walking path through the park leads to Lake Harriet, the Rose Gardens and the Peace Garden.
Historical Profile: More information about this and other parks is included in Parks, Lakes, Trails and So Much More, a richly detailed account of the histories of Minneapolis’ renown recreational system.