The winding streets and hilly terrain of the Prospect Park neighborhood are home to Luxton Park. Located at the intersection of Williams Ave. SE and St. Mary’s Pl. SE, Luxton offers fields for softball and soccer, a basketball court, and a large totlot playground and wading pool for kids. For more leisurely pursuits, park attractions include walking paths, picnic areas and a small raised garden bed for hands-on educational gardening activities for youth.
Recreation Center amenities include a gymnasium with courts for basketball, volleyball and badminton, a computer lab and family friendly activities and programs for kids, teens, adults and seniors. To make available an even better and broader range of recreational services, Luxton Park is part of a Service Area with Van Cleve Park. Other nearby park and recreation destinations include Tower Hill Park, Chergosky Park and the scenic cycling and walking trails of East River Parkway.
Originally known as Prospect Field, Luxton Park was established in 1912. The park was re-named in 1963 after George E. Luxton, a reporter, columnist, photographer and gardening expert. The longtime neighborhood resident was also an avid supporter of the park system’s floriculture, and an influential figure in gardening clubs and horticultural societies across the state.
Historical Profile: More information about this and other parks is included in Parks, Lakes, Trails and So Much More, a richly detailed account of the histories of Minneapolis’ renown recreational system.