Nicollet Island Park is located off Historic Main Street at East Hennepin. Named after the mapmaker Joseph Nicollet, the lower end of the island contains a promenade with a good view of the 1858 horseshoe-shaped dam, the first dam on the Mississippi.
The park section features the Nicollet Island Pavilion built in 1893 as the William Bros Boiler Works. Beautifully restored, this elegant venue is available for year-round rental as event center or wedding site. For rental information call Mintáhoe Hospitality Group at 612-253-0255.
The upper end of the island is a 19th century residential district with many architectural styles dating from the 1860s to the 1890s (43 historic homes).
Based on the shape and design of a 2000-year old terracotta mold for an ancient bronze bell, Bell of Two Friends by artist Karen Sontag Sattel (2001), is a monument to friendship and peace. The monument was commissioned by Ibaraki, Japan, Minneapolis’ Sister City.
Historical Profile: More information about this and other parks is included in Parks, Lakes, Trails and So Much More, a richly detailed account of the histories of Minneapolis’ renown recreational system.
Pictured: The Bell of Two Friends by Karen Sontag-Sattel at Nicollet Island Park